The ambit of family law is huge. Whether you have taken the tough decision of separating from your spouse and asking for divorce, or need assistance with division of matrimonial disputes, the right attorney can make a big difference. If you are in Westmount, top names like Litvack Dessureault LLP law firm cam help. In this post, we are sharing more about hiring a lawyer for family law-related matters, and why you need one in the first place.
How can an attorney help with family law?
The role of an attorney in family law-related matters can vary, depending on the actual problem. For instance, you and spouse may agree with the divorce, but may have some contention with regards to child support. Or, there could be some disputes related to inheritances. The actual task of an attorney is to protect the rights and interests of their client, while trying to avoid litigating by offering advice and specific solutions. There are also many attorneys who act as liaison with lawyers in Canada and the US.
Finding the right law firm
It is important to understand that not every law firm that claims to specialize in family law in Quebec is the same. Many attorneys have the experience and expertise to handle a wide range of matters, and they often have a huge involvement in divorces, inheritances, and child custody matters. If you are looking for a law firm in Westmount that’s reliable, check the basics, such as –
- Experience. How long has been the attorney practicing? Would they handle the matter on their own, or sign the case to another attorney at their office?
- Response. You would want your attorney to be accessible for answering questions. Insist on meeting the attorney in their office in Westmount, so that you can get genuine answers for your case.
- Handling the trial. While a lot of family law matters are handled through negotiation, there is always a chance that things end up in court, and you attorney should have some experience of the same.
- Reviews. Check if the law firm has good reviews online. You can check their website to find more independent reviews, or else, you can ask the firm to offer a few references in Westmount.
- Specific interest. Make sure that the attorney you select is interested in your case. They need to have some experience of similar cases.
Shortlist a few law firms in Westmount now!